3.12.2011

Japan Earthquake


I don't feel right saying much about these disasters. I feel saying anything trivializes it. There is a constant stream of chatter and discourse already being had, my voice doesn't need to be added to the mix. I will say though, like many in the US, I have both friends and family in Japan. My cousin and my very close friends brother and his wife live there, in Tokyo.

Although they are well (I haven't heard about my cousin yet) it doesn't change the gravity. There are entire villages missing. I won't take up this space to argue against nuclear power, that isn't what we should be doing right now. We should do as much as we can, emotionally, financially, or otherwise to help the devastated communities.

I can't say I hope because that feels too small. I do pray for the best but at this point what will one prayer do except make me feel slightly better? I can ask for guidance but in the end we have only our selves and our individual faith, whatever that may be, in God, Allah, the Divine, the infinite, or in nothing. This puts the world into perspective. What seems so large one day that it drives every action is washed away the next so that you can't even remember why it was important.

Final note, an earthquake this large can change the tilt of Earth's axis. We have lost a little time. These events happen daily, sometimes large, sometimes small, sometimes devastating. Can you remember the Indonesian earthquake and tsunami a few years ago? Chances are if you weren't there or didn't know someone effected you have already replaced that disaster with the next. What about the Pakistan flooding? There are thousands of daily disasters, sometimes so small that they only touch one person, and we forget. The most recent awful fills our minds and yesterdays tragedy is lost to time. People are resilient but with peace we can be strong. When we spend our lives fighting each other we can't ever be prepared, mentally, emotionally, financially, physically, to deal with something of this nature. Be kind and compassionate, a loving hand goes a long way to someone in distress.

No comments:

Post a Comment