3.12.2011

Food, Farming, and Science

I read an interesting blog post by Mark Bittman of the NY Times. It didn't contain any information that was new to me. As a scientist working on environmental issues and as a person passionate about food, the post touched on topics near and dear to me. My interest wasn't piqued by the topic but rather by the response. Never have I read a more polarizing non-discussion. They ran from inflammatory to choiresque but the choicest of them told him to mind his own business and leave science to the scientists and farming to the farmers. As a scientist working on sustainable farming issues I felt like I could say something in his defense but they I realized there wasn't much of a point. When does an angry farmer or an irate hippie ever listen? Certainly not to the rational voice among three hundred other rational voices on a NY Times blog. Letting it lie, I will encourage you to read the article on your own, especially the 250+ comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment