8.27.2009

A new thread focused on local food and our culinary adventures

In addition to our work as consultants, we are also avid advocates of local food and fine cuisine. In particular, I adore Asian cuisine, especially Chinese. I have been cooking obsessively for over a decade, and recording my recipes for almost as long (mostly scribbled on random sheets of paper). I have finally embarked on the new venture of compiling these into some kind of cohesive product, with a number of goals. One is to share the hard-won tricks I have learned as I agonized my way through literally hundreds of recipes that don't work the way they should. For example, it took me almost seven years to really learn how to stir-fry, and I don't think anyone should ever have to go through that if I can help it. My next post will describe a few simple tricks which will make it work for the western home kitchen (here's a hint: the first step involves throwing away your wok).

In addition to culinary techniques, I want to share the successes and failures of our culinary experiments. For example, we are learning by trial and error how to make soy sauce and other fermented soy products at home. What we have learned so far is that 'fermented' is really a nice way of saying 'rotted'. Over the next week we will post pictures of the process, and a description of the results.

I hope you will find this an enjoyable addition to our posts relating to our research and restoration work. As the goddess of agriculture, the hearth, and the home, we believe that Demeter would approve.

Last, if you have any questions on Chinese or asian cuisine in general, please ask! I may not be able to answer everyone, but I have spent a long time studying the topic, and I believe I could help on many of them.

Thanks & Cheers,

Lindsay

No comments:

Post a Comment