1.25.2011

Dealing with anger and grief in troubled times

Today I woke up in a horrible mood. Not surprising given the nature of today's climate; bitter, mean, cold, etc. Sure there are a lot of great things about humanity but they seem to get lost and mired in the muck we generate.

I have actively been developing the skill to wash these feelings away. Not only is my blood pressure down but I am able to function even when I read about or experience first hand tragedy.

Although completely off topic (not a first as regular readers know) I wanted to share with you the tools I have developed to cope with grief and anxiety.

1) Breath! I can't believe how often I find myself anxious and holding my breath. Exhale and let life happen. Holding your breath, breathing too fast, too shallow, these things contribute to your overall mood.

2) Go slow. Make fewer mistakes which generate more frustration.

3) Smile, especially if you don't want to and especially at people you don't know.

4) Hug a friend. Make someone else smile.

5) Go outside. I get cave crazy in the winter and nothing like some sunshine brings me out of my winter blues.

Finally if you have done all this and the grey days still have you down check out this live chat at the LA times site tomorrow (Wednesday Jan. 26 2011) at this link or by copying and pasting this into your browser.

http://www.dailypress.com/dp-live-health-chat-sad-depression,0,7226494.htmlstory?altcast_code=9e0e085d8d

No comments:

Post a Comment