11.17.2010

Mushroom gardening

When you live on a mostly treed property in Coastal Oregon, the most logical thing to farm has to be mushrooms. Over the past few years, I have tried a variety of approaches to inoculation - plugs, chip spawn, scattering whole fruiting bodies, stacking new wood next to producing wood, transplanting trees from fruiting areas, etc.
After a few years of this, we have successfully established one thriving chantrelle patch and another nascent one. Additionally, we noticed a large patch of large (about the size of my palm) oysters fruiting in the upper portion of a living alder snag. We did a lot of watering in the summer, and I believe this is what did the trick - I have had trouble with my plugged logs drying out. Live and learn I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment